Carpenter near you
We will ask a few questions to match you with the top rated pros near you
Where do you need Carpentry Services?
We have found no providers in your city
Submit your request and we will find the best local professionals for you
Questions and Answers
Q: What do carpenter services include?
A: Carpenters offer a very wide range of services: from building bridges and highways to creating customized pieces of furniture for household needs. In terms of home improvement projects, most commonly carpenters are hired to design and build custom-made cabinets, beds, sofas, and closets. Besides that, you can also hire a carpenter to build wooden stairs leading to the first story or even unique flooring or wall covering.
Carpenters can also help with the garden and exterior works. They build such large constructions as gazebos or decks and at the same time can develop flower beds or some benches for your backyard. They also work with the old window frames and can customize sun blinds for your new exterior design.
Most often, wood is the primary material for carpenters, yet these experts can also operate with a wide range of other materials.
Q: How do carpenter companies charge?
A: Per hour and per project payment methods are common in the carpentry business. Per hour rate is more common for small repairs and consultations when there is no definite scope of work for a carpentry professional. When you’re planning to build some defined object and a carpenter can calculate the amount of work required, you will likely to receive per project rate from the start. The latter price will include everything: labor, materials, and time, while the former will include only labor with the materials charged on top of the rate.
Q: What is the average cost of the carpenter services?
A: The per hour rates vary from $25 to $40 per hour, depending on the carpenter’s specialty. General carpenter services tend to cost less than charges of finish carpenters. Per project rates vary significantly because cabinetry and gazebo building projects, for example, are non-comparable. However, you can expect to spend about $450-$1,200 for a carpentry project. Please find more detailed prices for different kinds of projects in our carpenter cost guide.
Q: What factors affect the cost of the carpenter services?
A: If you’re hiring a carpenter for repairs, then the most influential factor will be the case complexity since the tougher the case, the more time it requires. Per project rate will vary according to the project scope and a number of additional factors. Here are the most common factors that may influence both rates:
- Location. City charges tend to be higher if compared to the rural area carpentry prices due to the bigger industry competition.
- Materials. The more natural and expensive the raw materials are, the higher will be the final bill.
- Variables. There are many variables in repair projects because one never knows what might break further especially with the old furniture and decks. For a custom-building project, variables are those non-standard elements that increase the total price. For example, additional sections in sofas and closets or unique rails for stairs.
- Preparation and cleaning. While all carpenters deal with site preparation, not all will include post-cleaning service on the list. If preparation includes demolition of the previous gazebo and post cleaning includes hauling all that debris away, then your carpenter is likely to add up such cleaning costs as extras.
Q: How to avoid dealing with a scam carpenter company?
A: The easiest way to avoid working with a scam carpenter is to ensure that you hire a qualitative, reliable, and reputable company. Here are top points that will help you to do so:
- License and experience. License guarantees that a company or an individual carpenter is recognized by the authorities. Experience is something that guarantees you a qualitative work. Check carpenter’s license and ask to see the previous works to make a decision.
- Contract. A signed agreement is a must have. It protects both you and your carpenter from any problems. You promise to pay while they guarantee to perform a qualitative service.
- Specialization. It’s of no use hiring a highway expert to reconstruct your sofa. It might not be the best option because this person will have no proficiency in such a service. Always look for carpenters whose specialization matches your needs.